Legalization proves that the document was issued by a competent official authority and that the signature, seal and/or stamp on the document are genuine as well as its format and presentation. Legalization of documents in Cameroon also means the certification of a document in Cameroon. Legalization of documents in Cameroon is usually engaged by the Ministry of External Relations in Cameroon or the Foreign embassy in Cameroon in certifying the authentic nature of a document as regards the format, signature, official authority, and stamp or seal.
CATEGORIES OF DOCUMENTS TO LEGALIZE IN CAMEROON
The most likely documents to be legalized in Cameroon are as follows;
- Bank statements
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Academic documents like degree certificates, transcripts, etc.
- Company incorporation documents
- Declaration of property/assets
- Police clearance certificates
- Residence permits
- Work permits
- Single status affidavit etc.
STEPS TO LEGALIZE A DOCUMENT IN CAMEROON
- Consult a competent firm and give a Power of Attorney to the firm if the interested client is not based in Cameroon.
- Provide the originals of all documents for verification and confirmation of authenticity.
- Seize the competent authority at the Ministry of External Relations and obtain the prescribed forms.
- Seize the competent embassy where necessary for the documents to be legalized.
- Pay the prescribed fee for the process.
Worthy of note is the fact that not all documents are suitable for legalization. This may be a result of country agreements and treaties with other countries as some treaties may exempt the legalization of certain documents between the state parties to such a treaty.