According to decree No. 2007/255/PM of 4 September 2007 fixing the modalities for the application of Law No. 97/012 of 10th January 1997 relative to conditions of entry, stay and exit of foreigners in Cameroon, there are three categories of foreigners to wit;
- Temporary Visitors
- Foreigners in stay
- Foreign residents.
Apart from foreigners in transit, the following are included in the category of temporary visitors;
- Private visitors
- Persons on mission
- Invitees or participants of a manifestation organized on the national territory
- The renters
- Medical evacuees
Foreigners in Stay
Foreigners in stay consist of the following persons;
- Contract workers
- Independent workers
- Long-term trainee
- Family members of foreigners staying in Cameroon
They include the following persons;
- Persons listed in article 13 of the law as contractual workers who have regularly resided in Cameroon for a period of at least six consecutive years.
- The spouse of a Cameroonian national, subject to article 21 of the law, that is, the transit visa with multiple entries and exits.
- Members of duly recognized religious congregations.