According to Law No. 90-36 of 10 August 1990 on the practice and organization of the profession of physicians in Cameroon, no one may practice the profession of a doctor in Cameroon unless he or she is registered with the Order.
However, a foreign practitioner who meets the following additional conditions may practice medicine in Cameroon
– be a national of a country that has signed a reciprocity agreement with Cameroon
– He shall not have been struck off the roll of the Order in his country of origin or in any other country where he
he/she has previously practiced;
– be recruited on a contract or by a cooperation agreement for the exclusive account
for the exclusive benefit of the administration, a religious order, or a non-governmental
– serving on behalf of a licensed private company.
The performance of professional acts of an administrative and judicial nature, and the drafting and issuing of documents relating thereto, shall be carried out by the doctor, either in the normal exercise of his duties or in the execution of a special mission with which he is entrusted. In this respect, he shall be obliged to comply with any requisition which may be issued.
The doctor in service in the administration or the private sector is subject to :
– professional secrecy ;
– the code of ethics of the profession adopted by the National Order of Physicians
then approved by the supervisory authority;
– the statutory provisions of the Order.